In the words of the experts from Who What Wear: "When tie-dye first made its way back onto the fashion scene, we admit we were hesitant to try it. But over the past few seasons, and culminating in S/S 22, it has never looked more premium.'
What started as a DIY project for most people stuck at home with the onset of the Global pandemic, Tie-Dye is now the most worn Global Trend! Can you believe it?! Turns out... there is nothing more stylish than looking like you've been sneezed on by a unicorn.
This popular 60s trend has been going strong for a while. It has been imagined, forgotten, and re-imagined by every amateur and expert over the decades. This trend has been on everything, from tees to denim, bags to athleisure; these batik and shibori-inspired patterns hit every colour in the rainbow and are now decidedly bougie!
It's almost cathartic watching the crème de la crème of the industry dabbling with and translating this counterculture mainstay. So much so that it made us want to create something of our own using it, and that is how our all-time favourite pieces came to life.
Here's a list of our Top Five Favourite Tie-Dye Juttis that you must get your hands on this Summer!
1. Spring Fling : If there's one pair of tie-dye footwear that you should get your hands on, it has to be our Spring Juttis! These floral beautés have a pink and white tie-dye crepe base and are adorned with hand-embroidered Gotta-Patti work, both on the upper and back. These are so delicately fresh and flirty, trust us... these are a delight to style.
2. Azalea : Number two on our list, Azalea, happens to be an amalgamation of Southern and Eastern Asian influences. The luxurious crepe base has a print inspired by the famous Japanese tie-dye technique known as Shibori. The upper and the back showcase embellished floral details that are hand embroidered using famous Indian embroideries of Gotta-Patti and Mirror work. This cocktail of cultures will surely inspire you to create an out of the box look!
3. Jamaica : Jamaica is the perfect vacation mojari! It's effortless, it's colourful, and it is comfortable. The print on the upper has been inspired by Ikat, a tie-dyeing style originating from Malay-Indonesia. The back's done in contrasting blue denim to give these an understated, chill vibe. The warm and cool palette with the fun little bursts of embroidered details makes this quite a versatile pair, especially when it comes to ease of styling.
4. Corsage : If Spring were to be a shoe, it would definitely be Corsage! This dreamy pair is our take on the crumple dyeing technique. When you look closely at the crepe base, the colour is dispersed in a way that creates these flower-like blotches. We took advantage of that and followed those natural silhouettes and delicately enhanced the base using metallic Dori and glass bead embroidery. Corsage truly is a stunning pair to have in your collection.
5. Sky : Last but not least, created using the Ice-dye technique, our Sky Juttis are the prettiest shade of blue & pink *Cough-cough, Bollywood reference* that you will ever see! We were on a real creative high when the inspiration to combine heaven & earth struck us. So, we made the silk base look like the literal sky, and what is more "earth" than some fresh blooms, right?! That is how we went on to create an embroidered floral Gotta-Patti design that is further enhanced using seed beads in the brightest shade of pink. These are a true marvel to look at!